MASB is a voluntary, nonprofit association of 600+ local and intermediate boards of education located throughout Michigan, representing all public school districts in the state. It is the only statewide organization that represents the school governance perspective.
As a membership, we can exchange ideas and experiences while working toward the shared goal of a strong and healthy public education system that meets the current and future needs of our students.
- Helping you comply with the complex laws and legal challenges you face as a board member by providing access to in-house legal counsel.
- Keeping you abreast of pertinent information to ensure your policies are up-to-date and you’re informed about the latest education news.
- Offering customized training (Certified Boardmember Award Program) on virtually every topic a board member must know to address the challenging responsibilities you take on every day.
- Providing a highly skilled and professional staff that’s ready to assist you in areas of policy, law, governance, labor relations, advocacy, community relations and superintendent search.
- Providing customized resources to help you understand the complex and changing education reforms that impact your role as an elected official. MASB helps you reach strategic goals, govern effectively and earn respect.
- Your ability to positively impact students and the direction of education in Michigan is significantly enhanced by the support and collaboration of all of the traditional local districts and ISDs that are MASB members.
- Each voice makes a difference—when education issues are before the Legislature, your voice is represented and respected. MASB sends out calls to action and updates on lobbying efforts and legislative priorities that advocate for ways to help preserve local control.
- Customized workshops, retreats, resources and special services for new and veteran board members.
- Access to MASB offices in both the lower and upper peninsulas.
- New initiatives and programming—from webinars and video clips to customized services and regional representatives. In fact, in the past two years, MASB representatives have personally met with almost every district in the state to listen and learn from members.
- Eligibility to participate in cost-saving programs like SET SEG insurance, MILAF+ and other purchasing programs and financial services. Most districts receive rebates from participating that exceed the cost of membership dues.
- ERIN (Employment Relations Information Network), a state-of-the-art, online, searchable database of employee relations, contract and negotiation data, salary surveys and contract settlement reports.
- MASB’s Online Store for valuable resources and publications.
- Important recognition programs, such as School Board Recognition Month, Education Excellence Awards and Certified Boardmember Awards.
- Networking opportunities to exchange ideas and experiences with colleagues.